PALO ALTO, Calif., August 25, 2016 — HP Inc. today unveiled the world’s only PCs with integrated privacy screens1. HP Sure View, a new option on the HP EliteBook 1040 and HP EliteBook 840, helps protect against visual hacking with the press of a single button.
“Today’s millennial workforce is increasingly mobile, creating new data security challenges for businesses as confidential information can be more easily hacked from a user’s screen – a process called visual hacking,” said Alex Cho, vice president and general manager, Commercial PCs, HP. “The addition of HP Sure View to our PC security solutions helps address the risks associated with visual hacking and gives customers the freedom to work more confidently and productively in public spaces with the touch of a button.”
Developed with 3M privacy technology, HP Sure View eliminates the need to carry additional tools to guard sensitive information. Users simply press the f2 key to immediately transition the PC to privacy mode, which reduces up to 95 percent of visible light when viewed at an angle, making it difficult for others to view information on the screen.
“As the threat of data privacy evolves, more and more organizations are taking the issue of visual hacking seriously,” said Makoto Ishii, vice president and general manager, Display Materials and Systems Division, 3M. “Designed with more than 20 years of 3M optical films technology experience incorporated into the privacy screen, HP Sure View helps address the concern of protecting sensitive information through a world-class solution tailor-made for open work environments and for the mobile worker.”
Visual hacking is a real threat to a company’s sensitive data, as demonstrated by the “Global Visual Hacking Experiment,” a recent study conducted by the Ponemon Institute, sponsored by 3M. The study cited that nine out of 10 attempts to acquire sensitive business information using only visual means were successful, with nearly four pieces of private information visually hacked per trial2. Visual hacking can also impact employee productivity, given almost 60 percent of employees take their work outside of office walls3. A similar study by Ponemon Institute and sponsored by 3M also found that employees using a visual privacy solution can be twice as productive when working in close proximity to others4.
HP Sure View helps users work more confidently from public locations without fear of data on the screen being exposed to others. Building this technology directly into the device can help companies better comply with regulatory requirements, specifically for businesses in healthcare, public sector and finance.
“This exciting innovation allows users extremely easy access to privacy technology so that they can toggle it on and off at a moment’s notice,” said Michael Barrett, founder and CEO, Stealth Security, Inc. “HP Sure View is a game changer in helping them protect the sensitive data shown on their screen.”
“When it comes to protecting company and customer data, especially in the healthcare, public sector and finance industries, there must be a no compromise approach,” said Patrick Moorhead, president & principal analyst, Moor Insights & Strategy. “A solution like HP Sure View offers companies a new layer of data protection that can be easily deployed by employees, allowing them to work confidently in more places, thus increasing their productivity and efficiency.”567
For more information on HP’s Elite line of devices and accessories, visit: www.hp.com/elite.
HP Inc. creates technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere. Through our portfolio of printers, PCs, mobile devices, solutions, and services, we engineer experiences that amaze. More information about HP Inc. is available at http://www.hp.com.
- Based on currently available, in-market PC's, as of August 1, 2016 having physically embedded, hardware-based privacy screen. Available on select HP EliteBooks models only.
- Ponemon Institute, “Global Visual Hacking Experimental Study: Analysis,” sponsored by 3M, August 2016.
- Pew Research Center, Technology's impact on Workers, December 2014.
- Ponemon Institute, Visual Privacy Productivity Study, October 2012.
- Based on HP's internal analysis as of 2/10/16 of vendors shipping >1 million units worldwide annually with clamshell design, Windows or OSX, priced >$400USD, measured at z-height.
- Based on HP’s internal analysis of business class notebooks as of (January 4, 2016) with >1 million unit annual sales having preinstalled encryption, authentication, malware protection and BIOS-level protection, passing MIL-STD 810G tests with optional docking incorporating power delivery.
- Based on HP’s internal analysis as of January 14, 2016 of mobile devices preinstalled with Windows 10 Mobile, designed to pass MIL-STD 810G and IP67 testing, the ability to run virtualized corporate apps on a big screen using optional dock, and a biometric solution for security.